Dr. Gio Valiante is regarded as one of the most successful performance coaches in the world. He helps professional athletes and high performers conquer the mental game. I recently listened to an investment podcast where he was the guest. It was fantastic!
Here is a quick summary of my key takeaways:
- We assign more weight to failure than we do to success. Because of this, when we fail, we have a tendency to carry fear with us.
- Fear skews our view and keeps us from operating at our best, being creative, or making objective decisions
- We MUST practice letting go of what we are holding onto!
Let me give you a personal example to help illustrate this…
- I have young kids and I’ve blown it as a dad many times.
- I have a tendency to carry these failures with me which makes me fearful of blowing it again.
- This holds me back from being the best dad I can be.
- I have to take time to sit, close my eyes, and tell myself to let it go (like the Frozen song). I picture myself letting go of a helium balloon and watching it float away! 🙂 Try it….I was skeptical at first too!
In our finances or in other areas of life, it’s important to acknowledge our fear and failures and then practice letting them go!